Rule 18 – Responsibility of Owner
i) The Greyhound Regulatory Board shall hold the last registered Owner to be responsible for the welfare of a Greyhound and also for making acceptable arrangements for his/her retired Greyhound as follows :-
- The Greyhound be placed with a GBGB approved Greyhound Retirement Scheme kennel, or
- the Greyhound be retained as a pet, or
- the Greyhound be boarded at a Licensed Kennel, or at a Kennel licensed by the local authority, or
- the Greyhound be transferred to a new owner as a pet, for breeding or for non-GBGB licensed racing, or
- the Greyhound be placed in a home or with a charity independent of the Greyhound Retirement Scheme, subject to the Responsible Homing Policy, or
- if it is necessary for the Greyhound to be euthanised on humane grounds, the Owner ensuring, subject to Rule 58, that such euthanasia is carried out by a registered Veterinary Surgeon in accordance with the Euthanasia Policy.
ii) A registered Owner shall inform the GBGB if there is any change in ownership of a registered Greyhound, and whether or not it is intended to enter it in any Trial or Race again (see Rule 20).
A registered Owner shall also report, or arrange for a licensed Trainer to report on his/her behalf, the retirement of a Greyhound which it is not intended to enter in any Trial or Race again, or any subsequent “Comeback” from a previously reported retirement, to the Racing Manager of any GBGB Licensed Racecourse and shall be given and retain a receipt in the form of a copy of a Greyhound Detail Report prepared under Rule 195(ii) and Rule 194(vii).
iii) Failure to give notification under Rule 18(ii) within 28 Days of the Change of Ownership shall result in a penalty being levied and may result in the Greyhound Regulatory Board, Director of Regulation or if the matter is referred to it, the Disciplinary Committee prohibiting an Owner from registering Greyhounds unless the Owner is able to satisfy the Greyhound Regulatory Board, Director of Regulation or if the matter is referred to it, the Disciplinary Committee that any future retirement of a Greyhound in his/her charge will be strictly in accordance with Rule 18.